Sunday, September 28, 2008

Busy Week

Hi All!
I was at a retreat in McCall this weekend, and have not posted nor taken any pictures. But here is what we've been up to in class:

We have learned the words "I", "we", and "the". Your children should be able to recognize them in any text. We have been reading leveled books together, using chopsticks as "reading sticks". I am watching to see if they can follow the words I read, and if they can follow with the reading stick when they read as well (or if they are just repeating what I say).

In math, we have learned AB patterns, and ABC patterns. Be sure to point those out when you see them, or, if you see a pattern (stripes on a shirt, socks, book, etc.) ask your child if he or she knows what kind of pattern it is.

We have also been counting, and will begin counting by 2's this week. Counting the 20 star papers on Friday was a great kick-off for this. They are sure to see the importance now.

We have learned how to write "Frog-Jump Letters" (letters that start at the top, go down, then jump back up to the top again . . .ribbit). They have learned capital F, E, D, and will learn "P" this week.

I am discussing "setting" in books we read together.

See if your children can identify coins! We've been talking those too!

I'm looking forward to the short week - er - to get to more trainings that is! I hope you enjoy your time too.

Thanks for reading!